We Sailed Around the World

Frank at helm

Frank at helm

For most of my life, I have dreamed of sailing around the world. Most of my friends know me as a very goal-driven person. My wife Karen even began sharing this goal with me after our thrilling sailing experiences in the Caribbean in 2002-2003. It took us a few years to prepare, and get our kids set up getting their higher education started. And to buy Tahina and prepare for the voyage.

Karen arriving at Grenada

Karen arriving at Grenada

We left St. Helena and sailed 3800 miles, taking just over 20 days, and finally we spotted Grenada. The island furthest southeast in the Caribbean we went in 2009 at the start of the trip. Karen joined me on our wide helm seat and we enjoyed the cool ocean breeze as we sailed at 9+ knots toward a momentous occasion. I was overwhelmed with emotion as it finally hit me we would soon complete this dream I have held so long.

My mind flashed through an enormous array of experiences that lead us to this point. Not just the many days and days of sailing, the countless hours of labor on the boat, but also the many exciting adventures and thrilling exotic locations we visited over the years. And the torment of being away from our family and friends for so long. And my mind whirled through the many challenges in our lives leading up to our being able to go on this trip. Not just the preparations of selling our home, cars, and belongings. But, even farther back to starting multiple businesses and finally having one successful enough to give us some financial stability. All that effort, and so much more.

And here we were, finally doing it! We enjoyed the moment for a little while and contemplated what we might do next. We even took some pictures. But, soon the responsibility of arrival overrided and we had to navigate Tahina into the mouth of Prickly Bay, douse our sails, and find a spot to anchor. Later we had to go ashore and do the customs and immigration formalities. We were too tired to seek out new friends to share our achievement. But, in a few days we will definitely organize a social event on Tahina to properly celebrate.

Some statistics: nearly 42,000 miles sailed since we left in 2009, we visited 30 unique countries by boat, 5 years and 2 months to complete the circumnavigation, and two very happy sailors!

This entry was posted in News, Passages, Sightseeing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to We Sailed Around the World

1. Kym says:

Congratulations Frank & Karen. Awesome achievement. I’ve really enjoyed following your progress for a while now. Inspirational stuff. Best wishes for the time ahead and your next challenge. Cheers

2. Hugh says:

An amazing journey. And we wish we could have timed it to be in Grenada and Prickley Bay for your arrival. Congratulations!

3. Jannie says:

It truly were amazing. I’ve been following you since almost the start, and although I wont be able to do it in person it does feel like I joined you through your blogs and foto’s and for that I say “thanx”. just one question: whats next? But whatever, pls don’t stop the blogs and foto’s !

4. Jason Decker says:

Congrats Frank and Karen! Welcome ‘home’

5. Rich Ellis says:

So should we expect a circumnavigation of earth from space to be the next adventure—or maybe the solar system?

• Frank Taylor says:

Heh…earth orbit is definitely on the goal list, as well as at least trips to Moon and Mars. Although, I consider them a bit more extreme than most of my goals.

6. Kerry Mettert says:

Frank and Karen,
    It has been a fun adventure with you guys. I have followed your posts daily. I have seen some of the most outstanding beautiful pictures from your trip that you shared. The 360s, the picture with the remote controlled underwater gismo, the kite flying pictures, and all of the hand held ones as well. The struggles on getting boat parts delivered, they eye incident, and many other memories. Congratulations on fulfilling a dream!

7. Timothy Connolly says:

Congratulations Frank and Karen,

What a super achievement. I have enjoyed traveling (virtually) with you. Your photo, video, and writing skills took me on a fabulous ride. Continued safe travels.

8. What an achievement Frank and Karen! I have so enjoyed living the cruising life through all the photos and updates. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure.

9. Bob RIchard says:

Congrats Frank and Karen on your grand accomplishment. I have followed you almost from the beginning and can’t tell you how much I have loved living your adventure vicariously. Again thanks and congrats.

10. Greg Ziolkowski says:

Congratulations Frank & Karen!

Been following you since your shakedown cruises like the trip to Miami. It’s been an interesting and enjoyable journey. The thought of it all coming to an end is both happy and sad. Looked forward to “living” the experience through you both. Good sailing.

Greg

11. Matt B. says:

Congratulations!

I remember finding this blog just as you were doing final preparations. Amazing it’s been 5 years. Thanks for taking the us, the readers, with you on such an incredible voyage.

Fair winds and following seas!

12. Virginia Edwards says:

Frank and Karen,
    Fantastic!!! Where has the time gone? Been following this for several years and your stories always kept me interested. Congratulations on completing this great goal of yours. Thanks for the ride along and all the beautiful photography you have shared with all your followers!!! It was like having a window into your world. Now, REST up for your next adventure! 🙂 Cheers!!!!!!! 🙂

13. Barb Ford says:

Congratulations on your wonderful sail around the world…I have been riding along for a long time , enjoying the beautiful pictures and the different countries ….Thanks for the journey, and good luck in the future adventures..B

14. Mike Brown says:

Congratulations on the circumnavigation. I’ve been following you since your first trip to Grenada and am of mixed emotions on the looming end of this trip. I’m looking forward to reading more and seeing more photos still. Congrats again and thanks for the “ride”. I’ve enjoyed it immensely.

15. christine says:

Congratulations Frank, Karen and Tahina!
    Such an amazing accomplishment!

16. Tracey says:

Tears here for you guys! What an inspiration! Way to live life!!

17. Doug Dicksey says:

I’ve enjoyed following your trip since you left Carolina Beach (I was at the same marina).
    Congrats and Thanks for sharing!