First 360 Panorama of Galapagos and a bonus

Before shooting 360 panoramas in a new location, I like to check 360Cities.net to see what other panoramas have been done so I don’t duplicate my efforts. When checking Galapagos, I found out there haven’t been any published there yet! So, you’ll be seeing the first 360 panorama in the Galapagos now. I also plan to take a lot more while we are visiting here.

The first photo was taken at El Junco – a crater lake high in the mountains of San Cristobal – one of the main islands of the Galapagos (from a human perspective), and the island where the government has its offices. The crater lake has a nice stairway leading to the top, and a trail around the lake. The first thing we saw were a flock of frigate birds swooping to the waters below – either fishing and/or getting a fresh water drink. It was pretty cloudy up there – and often is now since it is the rainy season – but, you get a really unique perspective of the island from here. You can also see three wind generators in the distance which supply 50% of the power to San Cristobal.

El Junco crater lake on San Cristobal in the Galapagos in South America
Before we left Las Perlas in Panama, I managed to take one 360 panorama from Tahina’s deck while at anchor near the airport of Isla Contadora. It was a nice (but, deep) anchorage. We especially liked the free WIFI we were able to pick up. But, we had to leave to try and make the Galapagos while there was a good wind forecast. Another cloudy shot, but you get to see what its like there.

Isla Contadora, Las Perlas, Panama in Central America

This entry was posted in 360 Panoramas, News, Sightseeing, Technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to First 360 Panorama of Galapagos and a bonus

1. Beki says:

Beautiful panos! Do you have a fisheye and a panohead, I imagine?

2. nanag says:

What is the orange boat hanging on Tahina? Is that the bottom of Coconut?

3. Peter Decker says:

Wow! I really like the 360 degree panorama shots. It could make one dizzy if you spin the view too fast. The resolution is very good and gives a great presentation of what you are seeing on site. Looking forward to more; thanks for sharing.

4. Gayl says:

Frank, lovely crater shot – cool actually! I couldn’t get the Isla Contadora shot to come up though. wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

5. Gayl says:

nevermind! it just took a couple of minutes for some reason – love the panos!

6. Looks wonderful Frank, a little worried by the human foot you seem to be carrying in the Las Perlas Pano? 🙂

7. Frank Taylor says:

Hi Peter, I’ve taken quite a few of them along the way on the trip. You can view them at: http://www.360cities.net/search/@author-tahina

8. Kerry says:

Great images. I like the disembodied leg; it adds interest.
    I love to read about your preparations and journey. I’ve read it all. I’ve read “Letters from the Lost Soul” and I enjoy the discussion of what it really takes to pull off a venture like this. I enjoy the successes and problems – and how you get through them.
    My business partner gave me the book and said, “Here this sounds like something you’d like. They sail to exotic places and then fix things.” He gave up on the idea of sailing since there was too much fixing.