Preparing for Fiji Passage

On Tahina, we’re mostly down to cleaning and polishing. Meanwhile, we have been completing our provision runs. Yesterday we picked up $300 in meats for our freezer which could last us 3 or more months (depending on how much fish we catch!). They prepackaged the meats to two-person portions and froze them for us so our freezer didn’t have to do the work. We will still make a couple more grocery runs as we get closer to our departure – especially for fresh fruits and veggies.

I’ve got a potential buyer for the car. Waiting to hear if they say “yes” this morning. If not, I’m going to make somebody really happy with a super low price – we’ve got to sell by tomorrow.

The reason we need to sell by tomorrow is that we’re looking at a possible weather window to leave for Fiji on Saturday. This may change as the forecast evolves, but it’s been holding true for three days now. So, it seems the models are holding better now. That’s good news for the weather forecast! Our friends on s/v Dignity are looking to leave on Friday – they were married on a Friday the 13th, so they seem to think this gives them special dispensation with the sea gods. I guess we’ll find out!

Meanwhile, I’ve filed an advanced notice of departure with New Zealand customs. And, I have the required forms for our clearance. At about the time we depart, I will also file an advanced notice to Fiji of our planned arrival (required or you pay a hefty fee). New Zealand and Fiji are the first two countries we’ve run into that require this. Australia also has it.

Karen completed 4 loads of laundry yesterday. So, we’re all set with sheets and clothes. And, we’ve tidied up quite a bit.

Today, we’ve invited our crew for the trip to bring his wife over and see Tahina. It’s a rainy day, so there will be less outside cleaning and polishing today. That’s good, because I need a break from that!

This entry was posted in News, Preparations. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Preparing for Fiji Passage

  1. Jason Decker says:

    If you two are heading out on Saturday I guess Lara and I won’t have an opportunity to see you and Karen before you go. That whole work thing is in the way of coming up other than on the weekend so have a safe passage to Fiji (jealousy) and we will keep up with the blog. We very much hope to see you out on the water again either later in the year or next year.

    Fair winds and following seas friend…

    Cheers,
    Jason & Lara

  2. Frank Taylor says:

    We’ll be making our next decision level tonight (based on weather forecast). We’ll let you know if we delay beyond Saturday. Will try to call before we leave regardless.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *