Furling Day and More Photos

Yesterday I finally got the replacement unit from Profurl for our broken furling unit – which they are replacing under warranty. They have a local agent who is actually only a short distance from the marina. I expected it would take at least half the day to do the job, but it actually took much longer (read details below).

I’ve uploaded a new photo album to our blog post about Port Resolution (see the bottom of the post) – the port in Tanna where we anchored to arrange our tour to the volcano. Port Resolution is actually a pretty anchorage. It’s too bad the bay has been lifted up by the volcano over the years and is kind of shallow and unprotected from certain angles of the wind. As a result, there are times when you can’t stay there. And, if the wind comes from the west – watch out! The volcano will dump ash all over your boat. That’s why we had to leave there after only staying 3 days!

Back to the big furling unit replacement project:

First we had to remove the old unit. Karen helped me take off the jib sail. After that, I had to go up the mast to take the cap off the top of the furling unit so the unit could be lifted and taken off its retaining brackets. Turns out I didn’t do it enough, and had to go up again to adjust further. Then I spent quite a while getting ready to take off the forestay. First, I had to attach to forward halyards from the mast to the front of the boat to make sure we had plenty holding up the mast. Next I loosened the shrouds on both sides (two sets) by removing the cotter pins and loosening the turnbuckles. Took quite a while trying to do it myself. I started removing the retaining pin at the bottom of the forestay and got it off without losing pin. The forestay was off, and I removed the furling unit from the extrusion. Karen meanwhile helped clean the various parts we would be re-using with the new unit.

It was already lunch time by the time I started re-assembling the unit. Then I re-installed on the bottom of the forestay. Based on how hard it was to get the retaining pin earlier, I realized I needed to loosen the shrouds even further. It actually took several iterations to get them loose enough. I got help from David of s/v Kilkea, and Ken on s/v Trim (who just arrived today). Eventually, we finally got the pin back in and the unit installed. As the sun was setting, I got the unit all back together except for the drum and rope. Then, I had to go up the mast again to replace the cap so it holds everything down. Had to go up a second time to get the halyard unjammed at the top.

While attempting to re-install the jib sail, we had a problem. Karen had done a repair to the luff of the jibsail which had been a problem last year. Unfortunately, as we attempted to put the sail back up, the tape she had used was too thick and got jammed in the extrusion track for the luff. It was now dark, and we had to give up the project for the night. The problem continues on the next day!

This entry was posted in Boat Maintenance, News, Sightseeing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *