Update After Eye Surgery

It’s been about 6 days since the eye surgery. The first couple of days after the surgery were pretty slow for me due to recovery from the general anesthesia. I slept about twice as many hours as normal and was generally pretty inactive. We went back for a checkup after the first 24 hours. They first removed the bandage and cleaned up the discharge from the eye’s natural tearing after the trauma. They then took me to see the doctor for an examination. His assistant looked first, and during this I guess some discharge moved away from the eye, and I got a glimpse of my much clearer cornea. For the first time in 7+ months I did not see fog over my eye! And I was thrilled! Not unexpectedly, I could not see sharply. And the doctor told me it will get worse before it gets better. They said the cornea was doing as expected and gave me instructions on eye drops and told me to come back in a few days.

I will not wear a patch, but must wear some kind of eye shield at all times. The most important thing is to make sure the new cornea graft stays in place so it can form a bond. This process will take months. At least sunglasses or glasses in public, and the eye shield taped on at night. The eye was very sensitive to light the first couple of days, so another reason to stay relatively quiet on the boat and sleep alot. But, this soon got better.

I started two different drops every 3 hours (day and night) and this will continue for several weeks. Thankfully, the much more rigorous application of drops during the original infection prepared me for this regimen. The eye looks like hell – super red where it’s supposed to be white. This was to be expected after the surgery. And will continue for a while apparently.

Four days later I went back for a follow-up. I had noticed the eye was now getting foggy again. The doctor said this is normal. There is a layer of skin that normally covers the cornea that was now growing back. But, it takes a while for the eye to clear this up. He said it would probably be 2 to 3 weeks before the vision gets clearer. The medicines I’m taking are immune-depressents that I guess are designed to help avoid the graft from being rejected. I think the drugs also irritate the eye quite a bit, so the redness continues and the doctor said that will continue for another 3 weeks as well.

As I’ve said before, the eye healing process is very slow. It will be months before it heals enough for me to resume more normal, unrestricted, activities or swimming. But, the doctor did say I can go out and about and even do basic exercise as long as I avoid sudden jolting and avoid risks of rubbing or bumping the eye, and no strenuous exercise (like weightlifting).

So, don’t expect a lot of updates over the next few weeks on the eye. There won’t be much to report. I’ll try to at least mention that everything continues to go well as we move on to other activities.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Update After Eye Surgery

  1. Jan Warm says:

    So glad to hear that you’re doing well! Keep up the good work!!

  2. nanag says:

    So very happy things are going well. Thanks for the update.

  3. Fred says:

    Hey Frank. Sounds like it is going as well as can be expected, it’s just going to take time. Just wanted to let you know we’re thinking of you. Take care, -Fred-

    • Frank Taylor says:

      @Fred: Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve been well prepared for this, and things are already improving quicker than expected. I’m on the road to recovery – but, will remain vigilant according to doctor’s instructions.

  4. Volker says:

    Good news, Frank! I hope all this will be soon a story from the past.

    Regards from Germany

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *