As stated in the last post, we had the bottoms painted with new anti-fouling paint on Wednesday. The new paint by the way is a bit stronger than our previous paint and should last if we should need it to for 2 years. It’s also harder so it shouldn’t rub off like the previous paint. The new paint has a higher content of copper, which means it should do a better job of fighting off marine growth. We did not add other poisonous chemicals, like some boats do, because they sit in marinas for extended periods.
We spent two full days of waxing and polishing our white hulls just above the anti-fouling along the waterlines. On both sides of both hulls. Or 200 feet of waterline (plus the stern ends). At the bows, we made sure to wax as high as 5 feet because when under way a lot of water goes along the bows. The waxing reduces the amount of grime, oil, tar, and marine growth that eventually will stick to the hulls. Until the wax loses effectiveness it should stay white, shiny, and pretty! But, this took us two full 12+ hour days of rubbing, polishing, climbing up and down on stools and moving a scaffold we procured to get to the higher spots. At the end of both days I had cramps in both arms and legs. The other factor is that here near the equator the temperatures are usually close to 100 F at the peak of the day. We did take a break like the other workers here from 1 to 2 PM – the hottest part of the day.
On Friday afternoon we were being lifted up by the haul-out machine. It took over an hour for four of us to get the beams and timber I had bought to create the proper lifting arrangement to fit Tahina on the machine. I added some more timber to improve the design this time. They lifted us on Friday so we would have a day to paint the bottom of the keels (which had been sitting on some large wooden blocks while we were in the yard).
Today, we spent a while in the morning cleaning up garbage from the various projects and putting away tools, lines, and other asundry from all the work. I got the bill from our the painting manager Joe, and then went to an ATM to get the cash to make payment. I made sure to give him a good tip because his work was done with very good attention to detail, he was helpful with other tasks I added, and his rates were reasonable. I would recommend him easily to any other boaters hauling out here.
Upon getting into the water, our first task – before they removed the lift – was to quickly check our thru-hulls. We installed new thru-hull ball valves on the entire boat due to a corrosion problem with the previous ones. With 7 or 8 thru-hulls changes on both hulls, we needed to make sure there were no water leaks. Fortunately, we must have done a good job, everything was dry even after opening each valve. Whew!
[UPDATE] Photos from the boatyard experience:
View full-sized slideshow>
All the engines ran smoothly, and the generator ran well also after we started it at our boat slip. Except, about 15 minutes after starting it, the generator suddenly stopped. After checking the error code, it suggested fuel starvation. Sure enough a quick check revealed I had not turned the fuel lines back on after doing the maintenance on the engines! Easily fixed.
We are thrilled to be back in the water. We can now use our showers, get more water, and live more comfortably without dust and noises of the boatyard around us. Lots left to do to clean up the boat, and also some other tasks that didn’t get done in the yard. This coming week we hope to have new awnings made to provide shade on our decks giving us more outside living space, a cooler interior on hot sunny days, and protection from rain at anchor or in a marina.