The first two days we had lighter winds than we hoped at times. It made it a bit challenging because we had to tweak the sails due to variable conditions in order to keep our speeds up. But, there were times when the winds would pick up and our speeds shot up to a more normal 8 knots. We made 150 nautical miles (nm) the first day, and 163 nm the second day.
We have been keeping in touch with s/v Gryphon 2 who left the day before us for Cocos. We have been using our SSB (single side-band) radio to call at noon each day and give each other position and status reports. Their boat is a mono-hull, so we are a little faster.The winds picked up on the second night and we were making much better speeds – 8-9 knots for much of it. In the morning, at about 9 AM, I spotted sails ahead. We knew it must be Gryphon 2. Unfortunately, they have a problem with their short range – VHF radio – and so when I tried to hail then we got no answer. Although we were going faster, it still took us 3 hours to catch up with them as they were 4-5 miles away when we first spotted them. Photo above of Gryphon 2. Photo below of Tahina sailing by (and Frank mid-deck taking pictures of Gryphon 2).
At noon, we made radio contact, but no position report was necessary. Instead, we coordinated taking pictures of each others boat over 250 miles away from any land in the Indian Ocean. If our speed continues to go so well, we will make it a half day earlier than we had expected to Cocos. In a few hours it will be end of day 3 and we expect to have made close to 200 nm in a 24 hour period (current estimate 192). This is considered very fine progress indeed and we are very proud to be sailing Tahina as usual!